Isocore and Ixia Validate Alcatel-Lucent 100 Gigabit Ethernet Service Routing
Industry-first test confirms carrier services at 100 GE speeds on Alcatel-Lucent 7750 Service Router
Calabasas, CA, Paris, France, July 28, 2010 – Alcatel-Lucent (NYSE: ALU) and Ixia (NASDAQ: XXIA) today announced that Isocore, a leading provider of cutting-edge networking technology validation services, tested and verified the Alcatel-Lucent 7750 Service Router’s (SR) 100 Gigabit Ethernet (100 GE) performance, using Ixia’s K2 100 GE test solution. The results validate the Service Router’s ability to handle the broad range of capabilities needed to support the scaling of high-touch service connections at 100 Gbps line-rate speeds. The test results also demonstrate the viability of 100 GE for broad deployment throughout carrier networks, extending beyond the IP core and into the service edge and metro, where services meet the network.
100 GE represents a ten-fold leap forward in capacity for service providers who need to scale their networks efficiently and with minimal risk to support traffic growth in their business, residential and mobile services. With 100 GE, an entire Blu-Ray DVD can be transmitted in just two seconds on a single link.
This test is the first 100 GE demonstration of line-rate, loss-less transmission using a diverse mix of service traffic types with thousands of queues and service attributes, which are critical for service assurance. Ixia’s K2 and IxNetwork were used to emulate the Ethernet and IP traffic seen on business VPN services offered to corporate customers who have stringent performance and service level agreement (SLA) expectations. The results confirmed that the Alcatel-Lucent 7750 SR’s 100 GE interfaces supported and sustained 100Gbps speeds while delivering residential broadband, subscriber management, business Ethernet and virtual private networks (VPNs), and wireless 3G/LTE services.
- In this ground-breaking test, Isocore and Ixia tested configurations that emulated large-scale connection and service attributes in service provider networks which offer high-touch IP and Ethernet VPN services. Isocore used Ixia’s K2 100 GE test solution to transmit, capture and perform real-time analysis with full line-rate 100 GE Internet mix (IMIX) traffic in conjunction with layer 3 Virtual Private Networks (L3VPN), layer 2 VPNs, QinQ double tagging at the customer edge, and Ethernet Virtual Private LAN Services (VPLS).
- Alcatel-Lucent’s 7750 SR 100GE solutions are the industry’s only 100 GE products available today that support full edge services as well as full IP routing and Ethernet switching. The test emulated both customer edge (CE) and provider edge (PE) routers with OSPF (Open Shortest Path First), LDP (Label Distribution Protocol) and MP-iBGP (multiprotocol-Interior Border Gateway Protocol) sessions. The Alcatel-Lucent 7750 SR was configured with 8,000 IP-VPNs, 4,000 Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) links, and 20,000 layer 2 VPNs. The 7750 SR maintained comprehensive quality of service (QoS) on each flow while operating at 100 Gbps line rate.
- Ixia’s Higher Speed Ethernet (HSE) solutions are the only full-production test products available today that validate IEEE 802.3ba standards-based network elements. Ixia’s K2 modules generate and analyze 40 GE and 100 GE BERT and layer 2-7 line-rate traffic, with up to one million distinct flows. K2 modules are compatible with Ixia’s award-winning testing applications, which allowed Isocore to initially develop its configurations using 10 GE interfaces and then to quickly adapt as needed to support Alcatel-Lucent’s 100 Gbps service routing interfaces.
- “With a keen focus on enabling innovative IP and Ethernet-based service offerings, and in support of our High Leverage Network architecture, Alcatel-Lucent has extended the reach of 100GE to the service edge and metro, where services meet the network,” said Basil Alwan, President, IP Division. “By going far beyond faster transport in the core and enabling services at speed, Alcatel-Lucent paves the way for service providers to deploy 100 GE wherever they need it to efficiently grow their services, and to minimize risk and complexity by doing so on existing Service Router platforms deployed in their networks.”
- “The observed results of this testing confirm the ability of Alcatel-Lucent 7750 Service Router with 100 GE interfaces to sustain line-rate traffic, while supporting a mix of thousands of layer 2 and layer 3 service instances at 100 Gbps throughput,” said Dr. Bijan Jabbari, president of Isocore. “The test results also validate the Service Router’s comprehensive QoS on 100 GE modules, confirming the solution based on the Service Router portfolio can be deployed beyond core scenarios, into the metro and service edge of service provider networks.”
- “Ixia’s proven, first-to-market, HSE test solutions accelerate network equipment manufacturers’ and carriers’ time to market with 100 GE devices and networks. K2 is part of Ixia’s single-platform solution that covers the full range of Ethernet speeds, from 10 Mbps to 100 Gbps," said Errol Ginsberg, Chief Innovation Officer at Ixia. "Alcatel-Lucent’s successful test, using Ixia’s HSE test solution, validates 100 GE’s ability to handle complex routing traffic in diverse mixes that represent the needs of the evolving converged data center.”
- WEBINAR: Ixia, Alcatel Lucent and Isocore will also share their experiences working with service providers evaluating 100 GE for broad deployment in a webinar on August 4, 2010. To register for the webinar, go to http://www.ixiacom.com/news_and_events/webinars/registration.php?webinar_id=14&mkt_origin=PR0728
- To request a copy of the Isocore report, go to: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/features/100GE/isocore/
- For more information on Ixia and its HSE solutions, please visit www.ixiacom.com or view Ixia’s HSE product page.
- For more information on Alcatel-Lucent’s 100G solutions and High Leverage Network architecture, visit: www.alcatel-lucent.com/hln, www.alcatel-lucent.com/100g.
- Alcatel-Lucent/Ixia 100 GE Test
Ixia is a leading provider of converged IP performance test systems and service verification platforms for wireless and wired infrastructures and services. Ixia’s test systems are used by network and telephony equipment manufacturers, semiconductor manufacturers, service providers, governments and enterprises to validate the performance and reliability of complex networks, devices and applications. Ixia’s multiplay test systems address the growing need to test voice, video and data services and network capability under real-world conditions.
About Alcatel Lucent
Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) is the trusted transformation partner of service providers, enterprises, strategic industries such as defense, energy, healthcare, transportation, and governments worldwide, providing solutions to deliver voice, data and video communication services to end-users. A leader in fixed, mobile and converged broadband networking, IP technologies, applications and services, Alcatel-Lucent leverages the unrivalled technical and scientific expertise of Bell Labs, one of the largest innovation powerhouses in the communications industry. With operations in more than 130 countries and the most experienced global services organization in the industry, Alcatel-Lucent is a local partner with a global reach. Alcatel-Lucent achieved revenues of Euro 15.2 billion in 2009 and is incorporated in France, with executive offices located in Paris. For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on the Internet: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent’s blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.
Isocore provides technology validation, certification and product evaluation services in emerging and next generation Internet and wireless technologies. Isocore is leading validation and interoperability of novel technologies including Carrier Ethernet, IPv6, IP Optical Integration, wireless backhauling and Layer 2/3 Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) and currently focuses on IPTV service deployment architecture validation and design. Major router and switch vendors, Service Providers, and test equipment suppliers participate in Isocore activities. Isocore has major offices in the USA (Washington DC area), Europe (Paris, France) and Asia (Tokyo, Japan).
This material is for informational purposes only and subject to change without notice. It describes Ixia's present plans to develop and make available to its customers certain products, features and capabilities. Ixia is only obligated to provide those deliverables specifically included in a written agreement between Ixia and the customer.